Natural Dyes - Sumac Gallnut Extract
Sumac Gallnut Extract, a natural extract prepared from Rhus semialata Murr
- Any fiber can be dyed with Sumac gallnuts. It is used to increase light-fastness.
- Sumac Gallnut can be used to create dark shades with madder or indigo on wool and silk with minimal use of iron sulphate.
- This gallnut extract was especially developed for textile and natural dyeing uses : a very high content in tannic acid combined with low color.
- The gallnuts of Sumac are very rich in hydrolysables tannins (tannic acid).
- The tannic acid is perfect for the pre-treatment of cellulosic vegetable fibers to improve the fixation of the mordant during the mordanting step.
- The Sumac galls are produced by the tree as a defense against the sting of an insect in buds. The tree excretes a tannin-rich substance that becomes hard and forms a gallnut.
- The Chinese sumac is a shrub of 2 to 10 m tall. It is common of the Northeastern India, in China, Japan, Korea and Indonesia.
Be sure to check out our Mordants and Assists